I am going to put this out there, I am not having fun with this learning project right now. First off, I am perfectionist, so when I don’t understand or get things right the first time that ups the frustration level right there. When the instructional material, is not very user friendly that sends me over the edge. I am there with both things right now.
Now that is off my chest, I chose to go the blog route first for instructions. I tend to learn best by reading about something and then doing it. In the blog I got the pattern from there was no mention of having to cut out the white stripes and laces on the football as separate pieces. I didn’t realize that until I had cut out my football and looked at it. The laces and stripes are quite small and will be difficult to add a seam allowance and time consuming to sew. There were also no additional instructions on the site on how to prep the pieces. So I did another search and found a couple of more blogs.
I chose this one because I did a quick scan of the blog and it appeared she was very well versed in applique by photos of her work. I followed the instructions on making my template from freezer paper and that went well. However I should have read thoroughly all the way through. She didn’t tell me how to measure the seam allowance, you just kind of had to eyeball it. I don’t eyeball anything ever, for a very good reason, it never works. I have no sense of measurement that is what rulers are for. Needless to say it was a disaster.
Here is a short video of my eyeballing and realizations.
Time to rethink and reboot. Until next time.